Automatic masking tool!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Centurione
Nouveau
Nouveau

Female Messages : 14

PostSubject: Automatic masking tool!   Sat 6 May - 14:18

Hey guys! Some of you may have heard of my project from AMV Central but I thought I could post here as well since ALL OF YOU DO SO MUCH MASKING.

Sorry for copy pasta, here's what I wrote:

Hi guys! It's been a while, hope you've got some masterpieces in the making Wink

I kind of don't feel like making AMVs anymore however my brain still feels bad after doing all that masking for my projects so I figured out I could try making a nice tool for that as my Engineering Thesis.

I have signed up to develop a tool which would do masking automatically after you've given it a sample mask in the scene or marked an area which you would like to mask. Pretty much like rotobrush in After Effects but I have an ambition to actually make it work well in most cases, including animations Very Happy

In order for these algorithms to have any chance to work I need a hella big dataset of masked scenes and, as seems logical, I am incapable of producing it on my own.

So here goes my request: if you happened to do some masking for your video and wished to help me out, I would be most grateful if you provided me with your masked scene and your name and surname so that I could mention you in my thesis. The data would be used for that purpose exclusively and wouldn't be shared with absolutely anyone.

If you wished to help me out with my project here are some options on how you can do it:

1) Most conviniently would be providing me with the scene before masking and a scene after masking in a format in which the masked area would be entirely white and the background entirely black.

The above option however requires some work from you so I basically accept any format which would make it possible for me to get the result mentioned above on my own in a faster way than masking it out myself, which includes:

2. A project (Vegas or After Effects) with masking done and the source scene.
3. A rendered result mentioned in 1) but with greenscreen/bluescreen/whatever makes it possibly for me to key the color out and information about the source (series, episodes, things like that).

Or, well, whatever makes it possible for me to analyse the source material and create a black-and-white result.

The source doesn't really matter: whether it's animation, live action footage, whatever masked.

Email address: helpcenturione@gmail.com. Please provide me with any possible way to download what you want to share with me.

I know this is not the tiniest thing to ask and I am in my very initial phase of planning my work but since I know it might be hard to get the amount of data needed, I have to start early.

My thesis should be finished by January 2017. If the machine learning and automatic masking doesn't work out how I want it to, I'm going to at least develop the most convinient masking tool there is Wink

Feel free to ask any questions or doubts. Or maybe you know about a similar tool that already exists? I'm only aware of rotobrush and I've been out of hobby for a couple of years ^^'

Thank you for taking your time to read this and I well, if you wish to help me out, I will be moooooost grateful.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MagicDarkLight
Fou Furieux
Fou Furieux

Male Messages : 1674

PostSubject: Re: Automatic masking tool!   Sun 7 May - 12:44

It's very interesting. I always wanted to know how rotobrush was working to begin with but couldn't find any doc on that.

I myself don't mask that much so I don't know if I'll be able to help you in the coming months but I'll make sure to do it because I think you'll need a reaaaaally huge dataset tbh.

I had to sit among many data scientists so if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to know more about how you will do it (what language, package, ML algorithm etc), well if you just link me your thesis once it's done, it works too xD
As far as I understand, you plan to use silhouettes as the training set? Do you intend to also use the distance between RGB values?

Anyways, it seems like a really ambitious project, I hope you will gather enough data and achieve good results, good luck!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sora-to-kasai.forums-actifs.com
Centurione
Nouveau
Nouveau

Female Messages : 14

PostSubject: Re: Automatic masking tool!   Sun 7 May - 14:07

Thanks for your reply!
As to how I am going to do it - honestly, don't know yet. It sure is a deep learning problem but I will have to discuss the matter with professor as for which aspects should be looked into. I would surely like to save the corelation between neighbour frames and keep the whole scene's context so that it doesn't get lost when there are rapid changes in the image though I cannot expect for such model to work perfectly - it seems too complex.

Hopefully I'm an editor myself so I can generate some additional data from the masks I get - I can totally change their colors, mute some areas if there is a chance, change backgrounds to less standing out, deform the shape or fill it with something different etc so I suppose I'm capable of generating +- 10 quite different samples from 1 sample I get from you.

As a result of the thesis I should finish with a working software or at least a semi-working software which will be my own product after all so I will probably make a webpage for it with all the details. The thesis is open to public anyway so of course I will share it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sagiki
Soul's team
Soul's team

Male Messages : 172

PostSubject: Re: Automatic masking tool!   Sun 7 May - 15:41

Hey, glad to see you alive ! Ofc, I will share some of them next time i will edit a new video  

_____

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Automatic masking tool!   

Back to top Go down

Automatic masking tool!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1